New league structure from 1997
At the NFF meeting last weekend (Feb 24-25) it was decided to change the
structure at the second and third level of the Norwegian league i.e. the
first and second division.
From 1997 onwards, the first division will consist of one single group of
14 teams (today: 2 groups of 12), whereas the second divison will
8 groups of 12 teams (today: 6 groups of 12).
The premier division and the lower divisions remain unchanged.
In 1996 the promotion/relegation between the three upper divisions will be
organized as follows:
From 1997 the promotion/relegation will be:
- Premier/first: 3 down. 3 up (2 group winners and winner of playoff
between group runner-ups).
- First/second: 12-14 down (bottom six (place 7-12) of each group and
evt. loser(s) in playoff between group sixers and two group
winners). 2-4 up (2 winners in playoff between four group winners
and evt. winner(s) in playoff between group sixers and two remaining
- Second/third: 12 down (bottom two (place 11-12) of each group). 26 up
(19 group winners and 7 best runner-ups).
- Premier/first: 3 down. 3 up.
- First/second: 4 down. 4 up (winners of playoff between eight group
- Second/third: 24 down (bottom three of each group). 24 up (19 group
winners and 5 best runner-ups).
29. september 1996